Pitcher and Candle

This was done on matte board with a coat of gesso and marble dust and some acrylic paint for a dark gray color. The texture was much different than working directly on canvas and soaked up the paint so I had to keep repainting. I also found it hard to see the values with the dark base color and the velvety reflection of the matte board's surface.

I tried not to make my subjects look drawn on this one, instead opting for a more painterly feel. While I didn't succeed on the vase, I was pleased with my progress on the candleholder. I'm starting to learn that, while I may not like the entire painting, if I can find one positive learning experience from each painting I'm more than satisfied and can't wait to try again - a surprising discovery for a perfectionist like myself!