Portrait trial, part 2

Did you ever have a painting that started out well and then you ruined it?  I think I've done that with this portrait.  I managed to fill in the background and paint the remainder of the body.  However, when I went to touch up the face, I destroyed the eyes.  And then I noticed that my sense of proportion was way off.  But don't worry, I'm not giving up on it!  I'm just learning my limitations.

I'm guessing this is what comes of not having clear goals when you sit down to paint a bigger painting.  When I painted the background,  I had that section clearly in mind.  When I went to touch up the face and clothing
, I kind of lost focus.  I could blame it on the fact that my usual CEO/Project Manager isn't here to help me break things into goals and remind me to focus on one step at a time.  But then again, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did not set out this challenge for me - I did.  And I've discovered exactly where I stand in terms of both drawing and painting people.  I need a LOT more practice.  

So it's literally back to the drawing board for me to improve my skills before the next trial.   

Comments