4 Tomatoes on a ledge

I was looking at some paintings last night with my manager/husband, trying to pick out qualities of paintings I admire.  At first they were the usual - great lighting, good composition, a bold pop of color, and painted in excellent detail and depth.  Then we noticed another characteristic - they all were positioned on a ledge.  Two artists in particular, Abbey Ryan and Paul S. Brown seem to have the edge of the table or box, whatever the still life was resting on, in every painting.  We tried to picture the paintings without the ledge painted in adn something was missing.  Then I took paintings I have done and imagined them with such ledges, only to find that they seemed enriched somehow.  So today, I'm honoring that tradition and trying my hand at painting the edge of the table in my composition.

Comments