Speaking to myself as if I'm a child

I find when life gets hectic, fast-paced and overwhelming, - as it does nearly every week - I crave simplicity, minimalism, and comfort.  And the thought occurred to me that my mind truly hasn't grown out of that Charlie Brown syndrome - you know, where all the adults talking sound like "wha, wha, wha, wha, wha".  Only instead of other adults, it's my own self-talk that gets deleted.  There just isn't enough space to put an inspirational, motivational speech to myself.  So I've simplified it.

It's the same process that I use for disciplining my children.  5 words or less. 1 line.  Direct and to the point.  No explanation because they already know the "why".

In this case, instead of talking myself into studio time with a big build up as to why it's okay to take the time for myself and how it's going to help me achieve the goals I set for myself, I just made a very simple rule and mantra:

 "3:00 means in the studio."

By this time every day I've homeschooled both my Thinker and my Happy Cricket. I've taken them to social activities. I've made 2 homemade meals and cleaned up the kitchen afterwards, and I've usually got the third meal prepped or defrosting in the kitchen. And I've done an overall pick-up of the house, helped my husband with odds and ends, and/or run errands.

"3:00 means in the studio."

There's no real reason for my missing this time.  I can talk myself into reasons, just like my Happy Cricket often talks herself into staying up until 11:30 pm based on "needs" that really don't exist.

"3:00 means in the studio."

It's funny, when I say this line to myself, even when I read it, I can hear my parents' tones of voice and see their stern expressions - the ones that make me move without ever considering a pause in action to be an option.  Maybe it's a good thing to not grow out of everything . . .

"3:00 means in the studio."

Okay, I'm going.


Comments