Grisaille #16-20 and monthly review

I've made it to 20.   Not the 25 I wanted for January, but add in flu-recovery, and it evens out I think.  I can make up the 5 missing in February.  

Here's the shorter evaluation.  Seeing values is getting easier.  I'm getting to a point where I can see more than one value in smaller spaces and paint accordingly.  I've also gone from just seeing the general area of shadow and light to seeing depth within that shadow and light.  It's almost like putting on 3D glasses at times.  Perspective with ellipses is still a killer, even with turning the paper upside down and using a mirror.  


#16 - I managed to do better on perspective, but after time was up the overall result was still unfinished.

#17 - This one owes thanks to Carol Marine's  A Painting a Day blog.  I used one of her compositions  since I had all the items and thought it would help me achieve greater depth.  While I like the result with the apples on the rights, the perspective on the bowl got wobbly and the shadows toward the back could use some work.  


Another one based on Carol Marine's painting with 4 peaches.  Not having 4 peaches I used apples.  I started to pull the front edge of the plate out, making that 3D dimension.  But the perspective once again, while better, got wobbly. 


#19 - Surprised myself with this one.  Perspective on the plate is again, better, but still needing work.  I'm still a bit giddy over the letters on the tea tin and the flowers on the china.  I made myself paint them without consciously painting either letters or flowers, just seeing values.  Still need to work on the background shadows and clean them up a bit, and the curving under of the front side of the cup.  Very pleased with this one!


#20 - Tried the same set up as in #19, but looking down.  Again perspective!  Don't like the result of this one as much.  Maybe it's just that looking down on things is so unusual for me (being short as I am), but I loose sense of physical planes when up here.  Must need more time and practice, and maybe a handle to hold onto while painting on a higher surface.  


Comments