Clothes on the line - plein air in Maine #1


Clothes on the line
5x7 
oil on canvas

One of the best parts of the summer for me include travel to Maine and the numerous sketches and plein air studies that come out of it.  This one was in my parents' backyard.


 The woods are rocks are natural landscaping.  I thought the blues and purples of the sheets contrasted nicely with the yellow-greens.  It was tricky painting though.  The bright sun kept changing for more overcast tones. As a result I had to remember the shadowing each time it changed.  Side by side you can see the difference of color as it appeared on my canvas in the different lighting.

The left one is the completed painting after the sun went behind a cloud.  The one on the right is the painting before completion under full sun.

Comments