30-in-30: Day 7

8 X 10
oil on canvas

Well I made it through week 1 of Leslie Saeta's 30-in-30 Challenge without missing a day, even though I've had 2 nights working through midnight to make it happen (thankfully the deadline for entry is midnight Pacific Time).  

So I decided to try a portrait instead of just a figurative.  This is my Happy Cricket, age 3, when she loved eating bread with jelly and getting the jelly all over her face.  While there are some elements that I thing I got right (like seeing her peek out from behind a strangely distorted painted mask).  I can definitely say skin tone is hard!  And the more I painted the paler and more ghost-like she became.  I could say this is due to it being fall and Halloween coming up, but let's face it, it's entirely due to my painting for too long rather than stopping and thinking.   Lots to do with this one.  I'll be fixing it and finishing it in the future. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Definitely finish this one. You caught her essence. Good job.