Earning My Wings


  


There's a scene in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" where the guardian angel Clarence, who has no wings and cannot see life on earth, is helped by Joseph and the blurry image clears before them allowing them to watch George Bailey's life.  Joseph says, "If you ever get your wings, you'll be able to see all on your own."  To which Clarence replies "This is amazing!"

In a lot of ways, I feel like I am similar to Clarence.  I am also ranked AS2 (artist second class, ie, artist in training).  And I too am learning to see the world around me.  I have been drawing cubes, spheres, pyramids, and cylinders for 2 weeks, doodling on everything I can.  I'm starting to see 3D structure with cross-sections and midpoints everywhere.  My vision, though blurry, is starting to clear.  I might not shout, "This is amazing!", and I might not get my wings when a bell rings, but I will quietly continue honing my skills until they are solid.

Now it's time to go earn my wings.  What shape would a bell be?  Cone? Sphere?

Comments